Do I Need One?
Motor carriers operating intrastate commercial motor vehicles on a road or highway in Texas must have a Texas DOT number when you:
1. Operate a vehicle (or combination of vehicles) with a gross weight, registered weight or gross-weight rating exceeding 26,000 pounds;
2. Operate a commercial motor vehicle owned or controlled by someone who is not a U.S. citizen or does not live in the United States;
3. Transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding;
4. Operate a farm vehicle with a gross weight, registered weight or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more;
5. Operate a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver;
6. Operate a commercial school bus;
7. Operate a foreign domiciled bus;
8. Are a foreign carrier;
9. Transport household goods for compensation, regardless of vehicle weight.