USDOT Number


Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT number.  Also, commercial intrastate hazardous materials carriers who haul quantities requiring a safety permit must register for a USDOT number.

The USDOT number serves as a unique identifier when collecting and monitoring a company’s safety information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and inspections.


You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

1.  Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or

2.  Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

3.  Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

4.  Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding.

AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States –

1.  Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);

2.  Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or

3.  Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

You are required by FMCSA to obtain USDOT number and comply with the Federal Regulations.


It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.  Coast to Coast can help answer your rules and regulations questions.  We are here to serve you.  Call us today so we can get you your own authority.